Life stages of Birgus latro (Linnaeus, 1767) on Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean.
C, juvenile crab with pleon inside small snail shell;
A, juvenile with pleon inside larger shell of African giant snail (an introduced species);
B, young subadult with hardened pleon that had recently cast off its snail shell.
Birgus latro (Linnaeus, 1767) in its natural habitat on Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean.
A, feeding on fruit trees; B, feeding on coconuts.
Photographs by Max Orchard.
- Birgus latro - (Linnaeus, 1767) - in Cumberlidge, Caro, Watson-Zink, et al., 2022
- Birgus latro - (Linnaeus, 1767) - in Neil Cumberlidge, Tim Caro, Victoria M. Watson-Zink, Tohru Naruse, Peter K. L. Ng, Max Orchard, Dwi L. Rahayu, Daisy Wowor, Darren C. J. Yeo and Tim White, 2022
- Cancer crumenatus - Rumphius, 1705 (pre-Linnean)
- Cancer crumenatus orientalis - Seba, 1759
- Cancer latro - Linnaeus, 1767
- Birgus laticauda - Latreille, 1829
- Birgos latro
- Birgo latus